Keep moving pandemonium at a minimum by completing moving day tasks ahead of time. By doing so, you’ll be able to supervise the movers without worry or distraction. The following checklist will serve as a guideline of tasks to complete on moving day, delivery day and after arriving in your new home.
- Double check closets, drawers and shelves to make sure they are empty.
- Check rooms, attic, garage and yard to make sure nothing is left behind.
- Carry important documents, currency and jewelry yourself, or use registered mail.
- Note all utility meter readings.
- Read your bill of lading and inventory carefully (provided by the moving company) before signing. Keep paperwork in a safe place.
- Turn off the water heater and lower the thermostat.
- Get the name of the driver of the moving truck and give him your contact information. Review directions to the new house.
- Have the final payment for the movers and tip money.
- Check your belongings carefully and note any damaged items on the inventory paperwork.
- Prepare to pay the driver before your possessions are unloaded via cash, a certified check, or travelers checks, unless other arrangements have been made in advance.
- Supervise the unloading and unpacking.
- Renew your driver’s license, auto registration and tags.
- Shop around for new insurance policies, especially auto coverage.
- Revise your will and other legal papers to avoid longer probate and higher legal fees.
- Locate the hospitals, police stations, veterinarian and fire stations near your home.
- Change the locks on all doors in your new home.
Use this checklist as a guideline for tasks to complete on your moving day, delivery day and after arriving in your new home.